Wow, how time flies! This time 12 months ago I shook hands on the biggest purchase of my life.
And what a rollercoaster it has been!
In the past 12 months I have:
- Sailed from Adelaide to Brisbane for three weeks
- Sailed in gale force winds at night
- Moved from a house to a boat full-time
- Blew up a perfectly good engine
- Installed a new engine
- Figured out the basics of sailing
- Cut my teeth on a lot of sailing trips to Moreton Island
- Drank way too much alcohol while rafted up with friends during said Moreton Island trips
- Holiday’d in Fiji for a friends Wedding
- Bought a tender
- Turned 25
- Holiday’d in Bali with family
- Had my tender’s outboard stolen (I’ll have to get around to writing about this one day…)
- Made some great new friends at the Marina
- Sailed a racing yacht from Melbourne to Sydney with friends
- Bought a new outboard
- Dropped my keys in the marina – had marina friends use a giant magnet to get them back out
- My batteries died while at anchor
- Found out I need a complete rewire… And all new batteries!
- Quit my 9-5 job
- Started working for myself
- Spent too much money
In between all of the big events, it’s the small events that have had the greatest impact though. I’ve learned more about myself, other people, mechanics, electrics, painting, renovating, knots, batteries, outboards… and galley sink foot pumps… than I ever expected to in my whole life – and it’s still just the beginning!
It’s been the best year yet, Kuna. Happy 1 year anniversary. I can’t wait to see where the next 12 months takes us!
Okay, here’s my Instagram post – it’s where I tend to get a bit mushier with my words! Instagram is for inspirational quotes, right? 😉
Happy 1 Year Anniversary Kuna, you beautiful beast!!! You have taught me more about myself and life than any other endeavour I’ve embarked on in the past 25 years.
You’ve taught me how to take things as they come. That sometimes the best moments are the ones you don’t plan for.
You’ve taught me to embrace the little things – the colours in a sunset, reflections on the water, smells in the air, and the taste of rum while watching a full moon rise.
You’ve brought some great people into my life, and we’ve also watched a few people leave – but that’s okay too!
I’ll continue sending myself broke to keep you in shape, and I know you’ll keep me safe on the adventures to come.
I’ll keep making mistakes, that’s probably the only guarantee we have. Just remember that one who makes no mistakes, makes nothing at all
Here’s to another spectacular 12 months of giving this one life all we’ve got